Sunday 29 July 2007

A Very Short Story

Inspired by the Kronos Quartet Concert at the Barbican, 29th July 2007, featuring Wu Man

The pipa shone with a cold blue, almost ethereal, light, bathing the whole stage in stillness. Nothing had felt more alone than sensing the resounding notes all around me at that moment, vibrating, almost echoing in the empty space around me. At that moment, I knew I was alone.

The quartet continued playing...

I breathed in and out with each movement of the viola bow. I would stop breathing when they ceased brushing their bows against their strings. I was partly glad and partly sad about this connection. The viola slowed down in anticipation of the end of the piece, dragging out the last four notes of the last musical phrase, aptly titled "Royal Funeral." I counted as the viola player moved his bow in precise time steps, as I breathed in and out. One. Two. Three. Four.

No comments:

Post a Comment