Tuesday 17 July 2007

Grisebach's Latest is Overrated

Sehnsucht (2006) - dir. Valeska Grisebach - 2.5 stars

The only reason I went to see Sehnsucht (English title Longing) is because the British Film Institute went a long way to describe how unexpectedly good Grisebach's film was. Having a membership to the BFI, it didn't take me too long to buy into it. However, the film is slow and the script too predictable.

Given the film's shortcomings, the acting is top notch. The psyche of each character is revealed perfectly through the subtle and silent depictions of each of the main actors. The actors actually manage to create a perfect sense of disillusionment, so well done that the viewer completely believes that these characters are real and regular. Perhaps, this ordinary feeling that dominates the acting is what makes it so successful.

I will definitely watch out for Grisebach's next release, even though I didn't like Sehnsucht as much as the BFI did. I still see the glimmer of a potentially great director in her and I'll be waiting for her greatest film yet. This can't be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment