Thursday 26 July 2007

The Democratic Stain

I voted for the first time in my life and they marked my index finder with ink, as they always do, to make sure one person doesn't vote a second time to skew the election results. I will carry that stain now for god knows how long and will always be reminded that half of my country doesn't seem to care about secularism as much as I do.

Even though AKP, the mildly islamist party as it's known in the west, hasn't introduced any islamist agenda during its governance so far, they have also never sworn to protect the secular roots of my country. This is where the core of the issue lies. If AKP had stood by secularism while trying to be the modern islamists that they are, the country might be more at ease. This leaves especially the army at an awkward situation. The people have chosen AKP also to send a message to the army: 'Don't interfere with politics anymore.' I firmly believe in this response and applaud the message that's sent, but people should also keep in mind the reasons for the army to be cautious.

In any case, the early elections were a good and healthy sign of democratic life in Turkey. I just hope that AKP uses their proven support by the people to further Turkey's modern aims instead of slowly taking it back towards an islamic republic, which is the nightmare for many, including me.

No comments:

Post a Comment