Tuesday 8 April 2008

Directorial Self-Indulgence at its Utmost

Funny Games U.S. - 2,5 stars

I'm glad I thought about this film a few days after having seen it because if I had written this review on the night of the viewing, the post would have been drastically different. I'll put it simply: Haneke completely pissed me off with his latest, which is actually a word-for-word, scene-for-scene replica of his 1997 Austrian film. Even the houses are built with the same exact measurements for the remake. And the same exact annoying frustration is there; so strong that I wanted to leave the cinema in the middle of the film, and I never do that...no matter how much I dislike a film...

Such strong reaction was probably what Haneke was going for with the American remake, but I still can't justify the self-indulgence on the part of the director prevalent in making this film; especially from such an auteur as Haneke. Funny Games U.S. does not compare to Caché or La Pianiste on any levels. But I still think it accomplishes what it sets out for: toying with our taken-for-granted securities and expectations from a story with cold-blooded villains.

The main frustration stems from the fact that the violence in the film has no reason or purpose, and Haneke denies the viewer the only scene of relief and satisfaction. At that point, everyone at the film theatre I was at lost it and started grumbling. The thought that these villains had more control than anyone else really pushes the viewer off the edge of benefit-of-the-doubt.

I'm sure a lot of people will hate Haneke for this film and will vow never to see his films again. I, on the other hand, will still see them, but I'll always remember the 2 hours I spent stuck in a hot cinema in central London shaking my leg and wondering when the hell I can get out... That's how strong your reaction to this film might be, just so you're aware.

No comments:

Post a Comment