Tuesday 4 March 2008

Lights. Mic. Record. One. Two. One, Two, Three, Four!

I've been quite active with music lately. I recorded four songs for my best friend's birthday in Jan 2008. All four songs are covers and more or less in the style of the original performer, especially the Amy Winehouse covers. They also have a single idea that binds them - longing (for love, for life, etc.). Therefore, I named this CD of covers after my best friend's name - รถ·z·l·e·m, which means longing in Turkish. Below are four songs:

1. I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight – Bob Dylan
2. Stronger Than Me – Amy Winehouse
3. Love is a Losing Game – Amy Winehouse
4. C’est L’amour – Carla Bruni

I also signed up for jazz vocal classes at the Bloom School of Jazz at the beginning of the year and have been attending once a week. I've just recorded a demo of the two songs that I'll be performing at the Green Mill in Chicago on March 29 as my graduation ceremony. I'm really excited because I was able to develop my own style for both songs, You've Changed and Honeysuckle Rose. They're not the best right now as I'm still working on them, but they've come a long way... With this demo CD, I can target problem areas and try and improve before the final show at the Green Mill. Let me know if you have any suggestions!

I hope to stay as active as I've been so far on the music front. Hopefully, you'll hear from me again with more songs and maybe jam sessions/open-mic nights, where I'll need your support. ;) Check out the songs at my myspace.com page:

http://www.myspace.com/ysolmaz

No comments:

Post a Comment